Volcano Ijen and Bromo Trekking
Java is the land of the volcanoes. There are 45 active volcanoes throughout Java Island, spread from east to west, excluding the small calderas. In this trip you will experience the great Mount Bromo (2329 m above sea level), the most visited volcano in East Java. Mount Bromo hiking to the crater can be done by foot, but we also offer a unique opportunity to do it with a 4WD Jeep. Please scroll down to read more about this option.
Aside from Mount Bromo, we offer the option to hike Mount Ijen in East Java. This is a short hike to see the blue lake and to witness one of the world's most dangerous jobs: On the 4th of September 2013, BBC Earth released a documentary video of Human Planet about "The World's Most Dangerous Jobs". Sulfur mining is one of them, but it is a common job in this area that has been done by mankind since 40 years back. They mine the sulfur from the inside of the volcano. The crater is filled with a mix of highly toxic gases that have taken the lives of over 70 miners in the last 40 years.
However, it is very safe to hike the volcano. Millions of people have hiked this volcano. You can rent a mask at the entrance, before you start the hike. It is recommended to do the hike with a professional guide to see the Blue Flame at the crater.
After the hike you can continue to Yogyakarta city in Central Java or go back to Bali or Surabaya or Malang (4 options, you may only choose 1 destination).
* Shuttle Bus to Mount Ijen and Mount Bromo then Yogyakarta/Bali/Malang/Surabaya
Our partner offers a combination of shuttle bus services between Kuta (Bali), Mount Ijen, Mount Bromo and Yogyakarta/Bali/Malang/Surabaya.
Kuta (Bali) – Sempol
The trip starts at 10.00 am from Kuta (Bali) to Sempol village, you will arrive at the village around approximately 6.00 pm. The driver will drive you to your hotel or assist you to get an accommodation to stay overnight.
Sempol Village – Paltuding – Ijen Crater Lake – Sempol – Cemara Lawang Village
- At 11.00 pm the driver will pick you up from your hotel and drive to Paltuding, the entry gate to Ijen crater lake. You need to continue alone from here. The path heads uphill steeply through the forest. After a 45 mins walk, the path splits. The right path leads to the crater rim. After a while you will be 200 m above the lake. You may walk along the top of the crater or descend to the edge of the lake. Then you go back to the entrance and meet the driver to go back to Sempol.
- At 07.00 am return to hotel for taking a shower and having breakfast and at 10.00 am leaving Sempol to Cemara Lawang village. Our driver will drop you off at your hotel or will assist you in finding your accommodation for this night.
Cemara Lawang Village – Mount Bromo – Probolinggo – Yogyakarta/Bali/Malang/Surabaya
- At 04.00 am, the driver will lead you to the entry gate from where you can walk down to the crater wall. You need to continue on foot to Mount Bromo crater, just follow the white stone markers to reach the volcano. After the sunrise, please go back to meet the driver.
- At 10.00 am, you leave Cemara Lawang Village to Probolinggo and then to Yogyakarta/Bali/Surabaya/Malang (you can choose). We will arrive in Yogyakarta around 9.00 pm. The driver will drive you to your hotel or assist you to get your accommodation.
- The trip ends.
- Shuttle Bus and special tour to Mount Ijen, Mount Bromo, Mount Penanjakan then Yogyakarta/Bali/Malang/Surabaya
Our partner offers a combination of shuttle bus services between Kuta (Bali), Mount Ijen and Mount Penanjakan with 4WD Jeep – Mount Bromo – Yogyakarta/Bali
Kuta (Bali) – Sempol
The shuttle bus leaves Kuta (Bali) at 10.00 am to Sempol village in Banyuwangi, East Java. You will arrive at the village around 6.00 pm. The driver will drive you to your hotel or assist you to get your accommodation.
Sempol Village – Pal Tuding – Ijen Crater Lake – Sempol – Cemara Lawang Village
- At 11.00 pm the driver will pick you up from your hotel and drive to Paltuding, the entry gate to Ijen crater lake. You need to continue alone from here. Easy trekking. The path heads steeply uphill through the forest. After 45 mins walk, the path splits. The best route is to the right leads to the crater rim. After a while you will be 200 m above the lake. You may walk along the top of the crater or descend to the edge of the lake. Then you should go back to the entrance to meet the driver and go back to Sempol.
- At 07.00 am return to hotel for a taking shower and having breakfast and at 10.00 am leaving Sempol to Cemara Lawang village. Our driver will drop you off at your hotel or will assist you in finding your accommodation for this night.
Mount Penanjakan – Mount Bromo – Cemara Lawang Village – Yogyakarta/Bali/Malang/Surabaya
- At 04.00 am (using 4WD jeep), the driver will pick you up and drives to Mount Penanjakan where you can watch the sunrise. After the sunrise you will continue to the entrance of Mount Bromo with the 4WD jeep. From this point you need to continue by foot and climb the 253 steps to the lip of Mount Bromo crater. After that, the tour continues back to your hotel.
- At 10.00 am, we leave Cemara Lawang Village to Probolinggo then to Yogyakarta/Bali/Surabaya/Malang (you can choose). You will arrive in Yogyakarta around 21.00. The driver will drive you to your hotel or assist you to get your accommodation.
- Trip ends.
|Price||Shuttle Bus to Mount Ijen, Mount Bromo and Yogyakarta/Bali/Malang/Surabaya||Shuttle Bus and special tour to Mount Ijen, Mount Bromo, Mount Penanjakan then Yogyakarta/Bali/Malang/Surabaya|
|Publish Rate||1.500.000 Rp.||1.700.000 Rp.|
|Our Rate||1.250.000 Rp.||1.350.000 Rp.|
What's Include in the price:
- English speaking driver
- Air conditioned coach
- Ferry Ticket (from Bali to East Java strait)
- The trip will start at our partner office in Kuta. Please come to the office 1 hour before departure.
What's exclude in the price:
- Personal Needs
- Extra cost for Blue flame in Mount Ijen 350.000 Rp. / guide for 2 persons
- Entrance fee in Mount Ijen 100.000 Rp. / person for weekdays - 150.000 Rp. / person for weekend and national holidays
- Entrance fee in Mount Bromo 230.000 Rp. / person for weekdays - 330.000 Rp. / person for weekend and national holidays
What to bring:
- Solid shoes
- Proper clothes
- Jacket / rain jacket
- Warm clothes (it is cold at the peak)
- Food (Hint: Better bring your own food since the stall offers limited option)
- Water or other drinks
- Own flashlight or smartphone with flashlight-app
- About 100.000 IDR (in total for one group) to tip your guide at the end of the tour
Type of Hiking
Terms and Conditions
- Cancellation by yourselves with full cost reimbursement until 24 hours before departure
- The provider reserves the right at any time to cancel the trip or change facilities, services due to the weather circumstances, government policy or other safety reasons. Please give us your phone number so that we can give you feedback as soon as possible.
- The client must have a suitable travel insurance in order to take part in this trip. The provider does not provide any insurance.
- Entrance fee can be changed without any prior notice due to the government policy
You may also like
Why book here?
Best price without bargaining. Despite high discounts you don’t need to compromise on service.
Support by email, chat, WhatsApp and phone. Very customer friendly refunding policy in case of cancellation.
More than 5 years experience and thousands of satisfied customers that left hundreds of verified reviews.
Handpicked providers with long-standing partnership makes sure that everything runs smoothly.