Seminyak vs. Jimbaran
This article should help you to decide upon an area to live while studying in Bali. Most exchange programs take place in Jimbaran. But there are a few programs are having the study in Denpasar. You are highly suggested to ask your study program in advance name of the campus and where it will be located to avoid the further mistake. Though, Denpasar and Jimbaran campus is about 1 hour away by scooter, it can be 2 hours by car (both via toll way). Via normal road takes longer.
Is it a smart choice to live close to the campus? Of course, however you are required to consider a few aspect. Please note, around 80% of all exchange students who study in Jimbaran live in the greater Seminyak area: Kuta, Legian, Kerobokan, Umalas and Canggu. Especially since 2016, Canggu becomes the center activities for young traveler in Bali: the endless wave for surfing, yoga centers, vegan and healthy restaurants, bars, music events, co-working space, etc.
Read the Pros and Cons here:
Jimbaran should be your choice if
- Best surfing spots: Uluwatu beach, Padang Padang beach, Balangan beach, Green Bowl, Thomas beach, etc.
- You want to spend most of your time on the beach. You want to be close to the best beaches.
- Cheaper accommodation option. If you are looking for a inexpensive accommodation and therefore you are willing to drive longer distance for activities
- Cheaper food option but limited
- You are afraid to drive scooter and want to stay as close to the university as possible
- You want to have a less touristy experience and more natural environment
- Fresh air is very important for you (the air is cleaner in Uluwatu area)
- Partying and being close to most of the other students is not that important for you. You do not mind driving 30 minutes or longer by scooter to meet fellow students in Seminyak and around 1 hour to Canggu.
- You prefer peace and tranquility
Pro Seminyak (+Kerobokan, Legian, Kuta, Umalas, Canggu)
Seminyak/Kuta/Legian/Kerobokan/Umalas/Canggu should be your choice if
- You want to be close to the beach, bars, clubs and restaurants with limitless option of food from affordable to fine dining.
- You like to party and do not want to miss out on most of the private pool parties thrown by fellow students.
- You like to attend events which are mostly are held in Seminyak and Canggu areas.
- You want to live in an area where around 80% of all international exchange students stay.
- You do not want to drive long distance for shopping and restaurants.
- You like to have a beach nearby, even if it might be a bit touristy.
- You want a 24-hour market almost on your doorstep. You also like to do your grocery shopping in big international supermarkets with wider option.
- You prefer being close to hospital and medical service